Panchakarma Detoxification Programme
The miracle of the human body with its natural healing intelligence is capable of constantly renewing and rejuvenating itself. However when imbalance and weakened digestive capacity allow toxic impurities to form, this natural ability of the body is blocked. Panchakarma, a formidable Ayurvedic therapy, eliminates accumulated toxins from the body, improves metabolic rate and digestive fire and brings balance to the doshas (the energetic principles of the body and mind). In just two weeks this powerful therapy will leave your body younger, stronger and free from chronic ailments and your mind calm, stress-free and relaxed.
Panchakarma in the Ashram is a unique opportunity to cleanse in a peaceful and restful environment, while benefiting from the Ashram daily programme of yoga classes, meditation sessions and more. The treatments are designed to meet individual needs with personal check-ups from our Ayurvedic physicians. Dietary, medicinal and massage requirements are modified as required. As each individual is unique, treatments are personalised using herbal medicines and oils to restore harmony and vitality. In addition to the Panchakarma treatment, you will receive a full health check with blood profile, a doctor’s daily review and talks on Ayurveda.
Who should attend?
Everyone is welcome. Panchakarma is recommended for everyone. Since Ayurveda is preventative as well as curative, you do not need to have a specific problem to benefit from panchakarma. However the treatment is highly effective for a vast range of disorders and diseases. The treatment is available all year-round.
- Increases strength and immunity
- Promotes detoxification
- Increases energy levels, revitalises
- Anti-aging, has a profound rejuvenative effect
- Prevents neuro-degenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s
- Prevents bone-degenerative disease
- Increases metabolism
- Increases memory and concentration
- Promotes weight loss, used for treatment of obesity
- Regulates menstruation
- Reduces insomnia
- Enhances the mind; promotes mental clarity and well-being and on a deeper level, enhances consciousness.
It was at the Sivananda Yoga Camp in Val-Morin that I entered in July 2017 for an internal detoxification using five actions on the body, it was my first experience in Panchakarma. Everyday we received decoctions of plants to drink, we received massages and therapies by tapping, then comes purging, enema and steam therapy. I was welcomed with professionalism, the place was always clean, we had access to all facilities except the pool as we had to avoid the temperature fluctuations during the treatment. In the morning and in the evening, we had the meditation and the songs accessible as well as the daily activities according to our health because we needed much rest. The therapists in Ayurveda were more than competent, they always answered our many questions and needs with discretion, respect,
benevolence and smiles.
The fresh, sattvic, traditional Indian food has changed my way of life to see and make meals. We were regularly visited by Dr. Vishnu during meal times, he came to talk about ayurveda and the balance of our doshas by food and taste. this is what I learned that I could not eat any more savory or sweet taste or even cold or dry food. I learned that the digestion and cleanliness of our colon has an important and primordial place in the maintenance of our health but is also seriously involved in the mechanism of pain. We had the chance and the privilege of meeting the doctor every night after the meal to answer our questions, to carry out personalized follow-up and daily in response to the treatment. We are therefore accompanying each step of our healing.
I entered the treatments for musculoskeletal pain in the order of 5 to 8/10 out of 10 to 21 points on my body and in 21 days of treatment. My intestinal microbiota was modified and my blood was detoxified, I was massaged, beaten, steamed and I came out well, painless, none but emptied of all energy. 30 days later I can tell you with certainty that the panchakarma has changed my condition, I no longer have anxiety or cognitive fog, pain have decreased by 85-90% I no longer feel the pain under the skin, my bones and my muscles get 90% better, it is a miracle because finally, I find a quality of life that I had lost a long time ago! in addition I have the happiness of having lost 20 pounds in excess weight! Ayurveda dictates in some way that health is in part a reflection of the cleanliness of its own colon. Let us remember Hippocrates’ famous saying that ” Death begins in the colon ” and ” Let your food be your medicine ” none of the allopathic treatments so far has had such effect on my digestion, my pain, stress management, energy, I no longer have the restless leg disorder, even my mobility is improved from week to week. Now I can go on walks, or even go out and see some friends. Yes food help me to get better after the treatment.
Panchakarma was the best investment of my life for my health, my quality of life, never I would have thought that it could change my condition and my pain at this point. Today I am in agreement with the great Ayurvedic principles; “We are not what we eat, but we are what we digest.” Therefore, our goal should be to strengthen our digestive capacity, to make conscious choices about the products we absorb so much through the mouth and through the skin in order to limit the toxins of the colon that will become the pillar of your vitality.
Thank you Sri Sivananda, Thank you Sri Vishnudevananda, gratitude to Dr.Vishnu, Gopa, Santhia and Adjtha for giving my life back! Sat Nam!
I am diagnosed Spondylathrite Ankilosante, fibromyalgia and chronic articular gout I am without drugs, I have dared alternative therapies and I feel good!
Stages of Panchakarma
There are three stages in panchakarma therapy, all equally important.
Purva Karma—Preparatory Stage
- Snehana Medicated oil or ghee is administered orally and through massage. Enables easy elimination of the fat-soluble toxins and removes blockages created by metabolic waste. 1 hour | 5-7 treatments
- Svedana Heat is applied to open the pores and channels for ease of elimination of water-soluble Techniques used include steam bath, hot bundles, leaf bundles, powder bundles, among others. 30 mins | 2-3 treatments
Pradan Karma—the Five Actions—Treatment Stage
- Vamana (emesis) Therapeutic-induced vomiting reduces the imbalance of kapha dosha.
- Virechana (purgation) Medicated purgation through the bowels, eliminates imbalance of pitta accumulated in the liver and gallbladder.
- Sneha Basti (oil enema) Anally-administered medicated oil or ghee lubricates the large intestine, balancing vata.
- Kashya Basti (decoction enema) Anally-administered herb-infused decoction high in electrolytes and alkalinity helps neurological, auto-immune and degenerative conditions.
- Nasyam (nasal medication) Medicated oil or powder introduced through the nose reduces kapha imbalances above the clavicle region.
Paschat Karma –Post Treatment Stage
It is important to maintain a pure vegetarian diet and healthy lifestyle for one month after the therapy and to take rasayana herbs (revitalising herbs) during this period of readjustment. These will be supplied. Additional prescriptions may be offered during the final consultation.
- 7 days pre-purification
- 7 days of therapy
- Introduction to Ayurveda (the ancient Indian ‘Science of Life’)
- Personalized Ayurvedic diet guidelines based on your body’s constitution
Access to all Ashram facilities and activities including daily satsangs including meditation, yoga classes, lectures and cultural programmes.
Dr P.R. VISHNU BAMS, MD
Education: BAMS Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (Ayurveda Acharya), MD in Panchakarma
Director of the Sivananda Institute of Health at the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram in Neyyar Dam, South India.
Sivananda Yoga Ashram Canada.
Ayurveda Wellness Course, SYVDA – coordinator and teacher
Ayurveda Abhyanga (massage) Course, SYVDA – coordinator and teacher
Ayurveda Therapy Course teacher
|06.00 AM||Satsang (GROUP meditation, chanting and talk)|
|08.00 AM||Daily Panchakarma Session #1|
|10.00 AM||Brunch (INDIAN vegetarian meal)|
|10.45 AM||Karma Yoga (SELFLESS Service)|
|12:00 PM||Daily Panchakarma Session #2|
|02.00 PM||Daily Panchakarma Session #3|
|04.00 PM||Yoga Class (SEPARATE classes for beginners and intermediate students)|
|06.00 PM||Dinner (INDIAN vegetarian meal)|
|08.00 PM||Satsang (GROUP meditation, chanting and talk)|
|10.30 PM||Lights out|
- For cancelling the registration before the start of the course, the original payment will be refunded less
- Rs 2,000 for Indians (dorm registration)
- Rs 10,000 / USD 150 (S.I.) for Foreigners (all accommodations) and Indians (room registrations)
- Once the course starts, if the student decides to leave within three days, the original payment will be refunded less
- 23% for Indians
- 25% for Foreigners
- After three days of the course, no refund will be issued.
- Students leaving the course before completion are required to return all teaching materials and uniforms.