A unique opportunity to reach into the very heart of yoga in the land where it was born
Extend the limits of your capabilities, strengthen your stamina and develop long-lasting self-confidence in this two-week intensive programme open to Sivananda graduates. Work towards eight hours of hatha yoga per day, do intense and prolonged pranayama, based on individual self-practice. Introspect deeply and discover the heart of hatha yoga practice. Sadhana Intensive is, as the name suggests, an in-depth and demanding programme of classical hatha yoga, balanced by the study of classical scriptures, devised by Swami Vishnudevananda, based on his own hatha yoga sadhana in the Himalayas. He often said that six months of this intensive practice gave him the energy to spread the teachings of yoga throughout the world for the subsequent forty years.
This is a unique opportunity to experience a heightened level of consciousness, increased energy, sharpened senses, improved memory, clarity of mind, a deep humility, contentment, joy and lightness of being. The course demands a high level of self-discipline and you are guided according to your individual needs. You are expected to remain within the Ashram premises throughout the two weeks of the course with no free days, no access to telephone or email and a strict sattvic diet (no salt, spice, tea or sugar). Many students choose to take this course several times, each time experiencing a considerable deepening of their yoga practice.
Sadhana Intensive is open to Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course graduates (TTC / ATTC) only. Good physical and mental health as well as a high degree of self-motivation are required due to the very intensive nature of the course. It requires some preparation from the student. Interested students are advised to prepare by following a regular daily hatha yoga practice and a sattvic lifestyle. Kindly note that the course is taught in English only.
- 12 basic asanas (self practice, limited time)
- Concentrated periods of advanced pranayama of progressive intensity
- Explanations and practice of mudras, bandhas and mantras
- Recitation of Sanskrit verses
- Practice of shat kriyas (cleansing techniques)
- Spiritual diary
- Likhita japa (mantra writing)
The daily schedule is cumulative and as such, is not fixed. In the morning, the students meet with the teacher and receive instructions for the practice of the day. Students are guided individually in their practice. All meet again at midday for scriptural study. Participation in the entire daily schedule is mandatory. The Course Director may change the schedule according to the needs of the students.
The schedule includes the following:
- Kriya practice
- Morning and evening satsang with meditation and chanting
- Two or three practice sessions of asana and advanced pranayama with bandhas and mudras
- Study of Hatha Yoga Pradipika / Viveka Chudamani / Srimad Bhagavatam
- Morning almond milk drink, brunch, and dinner
- A Sadhana Intensive manual is provided as a part of the course material and is included in the course fee. Students are required to bring their TTC uniform to be used during the course.
- Things to bring – comfortable clothes, warm clothing for Uttarkashi (October-May) and Madurai (December and January), sandals, toiletries, personal items, meditation shawl for cool evenings, yoga asana mat, meditation cushion, notebooks, pens, towels, water bottle and torch. You can also purchase these items at the ashram boutique.
- Refund policy:
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING POLICY WILL BE APPLIED REGARDLESS OF ANY PROBLEM RESULTING FROM THE CORONA VIRUS SITUATION.IT IS BETTER TO WAIT UNTIL NEARER THE TIME OF THE COURSE BEFORE REGISTERING.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT ANY NECESSARY VISA CAN BE ACQUIRED AND THAT TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE BEFORE COMPLETING YOUR REGISTRATION.
For cancelling the registration before the start of the course, the original payment will be refunded less
- Rs 2,000 for Indians (dorm registration)
- USD 150 up until 3 months from the booking date for foreigners (all accommodations) and Indians (room registrations)
- An additional USD 50 will be charged after 3 months from the booking date for foreigners (all accommodations) and Indians (room registrations).
- Once the course starts, if the student decides to leave within five days, the original payment will be refunded less
- Rs 4,500 for Indians (dorm registrations)
- USD 450 for Foreigners (all accommodations) and Indians (room registrations)
- After five days of the course, no refund will be issued.
- Students leaving the course before completion are required to return all teaching materials and uniforms.
FULL REFUNDS WILL ONLY BE GRANTED WHERE SYVC HAS HAD TO CANCEL THE COURSE.
- Apart from the Sadhana Intensive manual, there are some recommended texts for the course. These are not included in the course fee and can be bought from the boutique:
- Viveka Chudamani by Sankaracharya
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swatmarama with commentary by Swami Vishnudevananda
- Srimad Bhagavatam
Our accommodation is simple and functional. There are separate dormitories for men and women. We also have spacious twin-share and single rooms. All accommodation areas have shelving and hanging space. For each guest, a bed with a mattress and supports for mosquito net, plus 2 bed sheets, a pillow with cover and a mosquito net are provided.
- Dormitories: Separate for men and women and built as double-occupancy cubicles. Shared bathroom facilities are provided with cold water.
- Twin-Share and Single Rooms: Twin-share and single rooms have attached bathrooms with hot water.
Please Note: couples are not allowed to share twin rooms during the courses.