Adapted Sivananda Yoga Course
Teach yoga to more people by learning how to adapt traditional postures for the modern body and lifestyle.
- COURSE DIRECTOR
- PRACTICAL INFORMATION
- DATES & PRICES
As yoga broadens its appeal, yoga teachers are finding that many students are unable to perform traditional yoga postures and pranayama due to lifestyle or overall state of well-being. It is becoming increasing clear the need for yoga teachers around the globe to modify ancient practices to suit the abilities of modern practitioners.
This comprehensive nine-day certification training course will give you a multitude of tools to confidently meet the needs of each student in your class. You will learn how to joyfully create accessibility for people of all ages, and abilities, with simple and effective Hatha Yoga variations. As a course graduate, you will be able to quickly access and design a practice that offers the practitioner a heart-warming yoga experience.
This unique programme provides yoga teachers with the theory related to specific health conditions while simultaneously connecting that information to specialised asana variations. Each day you will experience an embodied anatomy class that will then be applied to the afternoon adapted asana practice. This combination creates an efficient and effective approach to assessment and adaptation.
You will experience first-hand the variations and modifications required followed by group exploration. Join us to learn how to create a safe and welcoming class for students who may be challenged by inflexibility, spinal pain/injuries, bigger bodies, and more.
This certificate, presented by the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres, also earns continuing education credits for Yoga Alliance USA and the International Association of Yoga Therapists.
TThis course is open to Sivananda TTC graduates, QCI Level 1 and Yoga Alliance 200 hour practitioners. A copy of your certificate will be required for registration.
To ensure the success of the programme, participants are required to attend all spiritual activities, satsangs, lectures and asana classes.
Meat, fish, eggs, black tea, coffee, alcohol, tobacco, drugs and nudity are prohibited during the course as they are counterproductive to the yoga practice. A dress-code is required to be followed. It is not possible to cater to personal dietary preferences beyond the yogic-vegetarian meals. Participants who do not comply with the Ashram rules may be dismissed from the course.
- Yoga for Respiratory Health – Gentle pranayama variations for soothing the nervous system and nourishing the lungs
- Yoga for a Healthy Spine – Variations for people with sedentary lifestyles or stiffer bodies.
- Yoga for Fuller Bodies – Gentle asana adaptations for people with bigger bodies
- Prenatal Yoga – Asana & Pranayama variations and guidelines for mother and child.
- Yoga for All Abilities – General adaptations for those who may be blind, have low vision, or are Deaf or hard of hearing.
Lila Lolling is a 500ERYT Sivananda teacher and yoga therapist for nearly 20 years. Since 2008 she has assisted in Sivananda TTCs in the USA and India and provides sign language interpretation for Deaf community members. In 2018, Lila was invited to speak at the United Nations on peace and yoga. Through her own personal transformation in health and healing through the principles of yoga, she has become informed in the language and skills related to adapting classical yoga for the modern age. Author of Walking the Ancient Path of Yoga.
|05.20 AM||Wake up|
|06.00 AM||Satsang (GROUP meditation, chanting and talk)|
|08.00 AM||Asana Class (SEPARATE classes for beginners and intermediate students)|
|10.00 AM||Brunch (INDIAN vegetarian meal)|
|11.00 AM||Karma Yoga (SELFLESS Service)|
|12:00PM||Anatomy & Common Health Conditions|
|02.00 PM||Adapting Hatha Yoga: Investigations and Explorations|
|04.00 PM||Adapting Yoga: Practice Teaching Class|
|06.00 PM||Dinner (INDIAN vegetarian meal)|
|08.00 PM||Satsang (GROUP meditation, chanting and talk)|
|10.30 PM||Lights out|
- A t-shirt and course manual are provided as a part of the course material and are included in the course fee.
- Things to bring – comfortable clothes, sandals, toiletries, personal items, meditation shawl for cool evenings, yoga asana mat, meditation cushion, notebooks, pens, towels and torch. You can also purchase these items at the ashram boutique.
- Simple Indian vegetarian meals are provided at 10 am and 6 pm.
- Refund Policy:
Cancellation up to 10 days before course start date: admin fee (Rs 2,000 Indians / Rs 6,000 Foreign payments) will be deducted from refund
Cancellation during the 10 days before course start date: admin fee and 50% of the tuition amount will be deducted.
Cancellation during the first three days of the course: admin fee, 100% of the tuition amount and a pro rata Yoga Vacation amount will be deducted
Cancellation after 3rd day of the course: no refund
The current fees include an early bird discount of 20% on the tuition; the fees will increase by Rs 4,000 from 1st November
The Ashram offers five simple and functional types of accommodation. There are no single rooms.
- Vaikuntam Rooms: Shared AC twin rooms with private bathroom (hot water), kettle and fridge
- Kailash Rooms: Shared non-AC twin rooms with private bathroom (hot water)
- Vishnu Rooms: Shared non-AC twin rooms with common bathrooms (cold water only)
- Dormitory: separate for men and women. Dormitories contain up to 32 beds with two-bedded cubicles. Limited solar heated water is available.
- Tent space: You are requested to bring your own tent, mattress, bed sheet and pillow. Shared tent area bathrooms are with cold water only.
Please note: Couples are not permitted to share twin rooms during Teachers’ Training Courses, Advanced Teachers’ Training Course, and the Sadhana Intensive Course.
For all accommodation mosquito net is provided.